In this video, I review Peter Thiel’s Zero to One and go through a select set of the main concepts he expands upon and I found to be of great value.
Topics discussed are:
The main question he asks us at the beginning-
- Ask yourself what basic truth very few people agree with you on?
The Four Principles he argues we should embrace-
- Better to risk than be trivial
- A bad plan is better than no plan
- Competitive markets destroy profits.
- Sales matter just as much as the product.
What it takes to build and secure a monopoly-
- Proprietary technology
- Network effects
- Economies of scale
And the seven questions which help us answer if our idea can become a monopoly-
- 1) The engineering question
- 2) The timing question
- 3) The monopoly question
- 4) The people question
- 5) The distribution question
- 6) The durability question
- 7) The secret question